29.6.13

Shipwrecked


I was told from birth which path was for me.
"We all dream of leaving the beach for the sea.  
You’ll be ready at 18! 
College, career then start a family, that’s the plan!  
You’ll sail until you reach this distant land.
This is the path, this is whats expected of you. 
Understand... When you grow up, that’s what you’ll do."
I found expectancy hard to discern.
How someone could touch the horizon, where the sky kissed the Earth?
Surely you’d never reach it; an endless endeavor.
It moves as you continue through, giving up no clear direction. 
"You’ll sail by the stars and suggestion, of course."
Questions retorted with this mantra of sorts.
But why would it all align just for me?
"Your best bet is the path, no questions asked.
Head out into the deep; seek out the gold, where ever it may be."
I understood what was to be believed.
Happiness was a finite formula and money was the key.
Confused, I refused to build a ship. 
Instead plant into the sand,  every grain bouldery under my feet.

As I stared out to sea, my mind ran away from me.

I think up what creatures might lay beneath.
Would I be smashed to bits upon the reef?
Monstrous is the motion of the ocean; will it try to swallow me?
"Create for yourself!" my conscience riposted.
So I built castles of crumbly architecture along the coast.  
A room with a view for its’ Queen to daydream.
Never lonely, for I could conjure a King to comfort me.
Each day arranged, rebuilding anew; 
constructed reality washing away the memories I choose.
Dull and grey grew this fruitless charade.
I had become a piece in my own game and no longer wanted to play.

I lept from the tower, plunging into the sea.

Fake kingdom forgotten
I swam feverishly toward the fabled line of impossible feat.
Exhausted, salted, closing my eyes in fright,
I left myself to sweep with the currents; hoping I'd wash ashore in time.
To my surprise I awoke in sand beneath a blue sky;
Lying on another beach, much like the one I’d left behind.

No comments:

Post a Comment